Friday 7 February 2014

The event that shaped my life and the person I have become

Looking back now, I could hardly remember the times that I really set my mind on studying when i was in primary school. As a result, majority of the grades on my report card were in red and underlined. Failing examinations had became a norm to me. I dreaded attending 'meet-the-parents' sessions as i knew my teacher would either express their concerns or repeat the same of words of encouragement. For unknown reasons, it always left me feeling offended and embarrassed.

When i was in Primary Six, there was Primary School Leaving Examinations (PSLE). At that point of time, I did not know the importance of this exam. I just know that my parents were extremely worried about my progress, fearing that i would have to repeat another year of primary six. As the date of posting results drew nearer, i began to panic and feel unease. While some were disheartened that their score couldn't get into their ideal school, I was contented with the average score I had gotten that could get me into a neighbourhood school. 

After this incident, I am motivated to do well in school and I promised myself to be more self-disciplined. As the saying goes, "you reap what you sow", I am glad that my hard work had paid off as I had overcome many obstacles from secondary to junior college and till now, in university. I am thankful that this incident had impacted my life and had transformed me into a better person.


(237 words)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Emily.
    Reading your post brought back memories of my primary and secondary school days. Just like you, I did badly in school as I refused to study and would rather spend my time fooling around. So I can empathize with you. I am also glad that your PSLE results motivated you to work harder toward your goals.

    I felt that your post was well written. I did spot some errors but I’m not entirely sure if I’m right. So here goes,
    1. Failing examinations had became a norm to me. I dreaded attending 'meet-the-parents' sessions as i knew my teacher would either express their concerns or repeat the same of words of encouragement.

    Possible correction: Failing examinations had become a norm to me. I dreaded attending ‘meet-the-parents’ session, as I knew my teacher would either express their concerns or repeat the words of encouragement.

    2. As the date of posting results drew nearer, i began to panic and feel unease.

    Possible correction: As the date of posting results drew nearer, I began to panic and feel uneasy.

    3.While some were disheartened that their score couldn't get into their ideal school, I was contented with the average score I had gotten that could get me into a neighbourhood school.

    Possible correction: While some were disheartened that their score couldn't get them into their ideal school, I was contented with the average score I had gotten that could get me into a neighbourhood school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Emily, for sharing your experience with the PSLE. As one of my own daughters went through the experience with quite a bit of trepidation, your story resonates with me.

    I have a few questions about this reflection that I will save for class. As always, I appreciate your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Emily :)
    I am glad that your motivation and determination to work hard has paid off! It was a joy reading your post and it has allowed me to understand you better! I suppose that all students would have encountered one or two examinations that has changed or impacted their lives in one way or another. However, at a tender age of 12, it must have been quite a frightening experience. Let's work hard together!
    Also, I noticed some mistakes, such as "same of words" which "of" would be unnecessary. And, this sentence sounds abit strange to me, " Failing examinations had became a norm to me." I think it should be "had become" instead :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Emily!
    It was an interesting post that describes how you have really changed as compared to the times when you were in primary six. I have the same experience when I was in primary school even when I was in primary five. My English and Science either failed or just passed. Thus, my parents were also worried about my PSLE results.
    Hmm...I only noticed some minor mistakes that are not raised by our blog friends.
    1. I am thankful that this incident had impacted my life and had transformed ... >>> I am thankful that this incident had impacted my life and transformed ...
    2. When I was in Primary Six, there was Primary School Leaving Examinations (PSLE). At that point of time, I did not know the importance of this exam. >>> I think the sentence can be shortened like this >>> When I was in Primary Six, I did not know the importance of Primary School Leaving Examinations (PSLE).
    3. As mentioned and corrected by Elizabeth, the sentence: As the date of posting results drew nearer, I began to panic and feel uneasy.
    >>> As the date of results posting drew nearer, I began to panic and feel uneasy.

    I think others were fine!!! Thank you for your sharing:)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete