Thursday 23 January 2014

My English Language Learning Journey

Ever since young, my English Language has always topped the list of my not-so-good subjects. My foundation of English Language was weak as I spent my childhood communicating with family and friends in Mandarin. I would always leave my English homework to the last as I knew that I would spend hours just to complete a composition. Unknowingly, i gradually neglected and lost interest in learning English language. As i was still young then, the consequences of not having mastered the language well did not bother me.

As i entered junior college, doing general paper required strong command of the english language. I envied how peers around me could write so well effortlessly. As for me, expectedly, i did so badly for my first GP exam that my tutor had to see me individually to correct all my basic grammar mistakes. Inevitably, i felt embarrassed and inferior among my peers. However, this incident also served as a motivation for me to improve my english language as i did not ever want to be called upon by my tutor again.

Although I still did not do as well for GP, I felt that I had make up what I should have had mastered when i was a child within the two years in jc. Learning English Language wasn't smooth sailing for me, however, with a positive attitude, I am always willing to learn and improve.


(224 words)

6 comments:

  1. Hello Emily! :)
    I am glad to see how you have not given up on English and how your experiences strengthen your motivation to master the language!

    These are some areas which I felt could have been improved on:
    ...doing general paper requires strong demand of the English language.
    Instead of using "demand", "command" would be a more appropriate word.
    My foundation of English Language was weakly built as I spent my childhood communicating with family and friends in Mandarin.
    I am not too sure about this point but I felt that instead of "weakly built", you could just replace it with "weak". So the sentence would be "My foundation of English language was weak..."

    Good effort!!
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really not too sure but I'll try !
    line 1: Ever since I WAS young, English Language HAD always topped the list..
    line 3: HAD(?) spent
    line 5: as I knew that I would spend hours
    second last line: did not want to be

    para 2 line 1: required
    line 2: command

    content wise, i had a similar experience about having to speak with my econs teacher individually when i was in J1 so I understand how you feel ! ): hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Emily. Your blog post is interesting. My foundation of English was weak too. Thus, I knew how you felt and still willing to continue to improve your English.

    There is one area that I thought you could have been improved on:
    ...my English homework to the last as I know that I would spend up to hours just to complete a composition....
    Instead it should be: ....my English homework to the last as I knew that I would spend hours just to complete a composition...
    It is only the tense problem. I not too sure.
    Actually, I have the same comment as what yuen han commented about the phrase "weakly built" which could be replace it with just the word "weak".

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Emily, for this fairly detailed description of your journey. You paint a fairly clear picture of why English was of lesser importance to you than Mandarin. Now, however, you have developed your skils to the point where you are effectively bilingual, which is only positive. With a bit more attention to editing out problems in areas such as verb tense, you will be able to impress in two languages.

    You might start by editing this post in light of our recent discussions. :)

    I look forward to reading more from you this term!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey emily, apart from those mistakes pearl and seokyin pointed out, i am impressed by your ability to compress your stories into just 224 words yet still retaining the meaning. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for the comment!:)

    ReplyDelete