Wednesday 16 April 2014

Reflections

Taking this module was kind of expected for me as i know myself that this subject has always been one of my worse subjects. I came to the class unwillingly as i know that this module has no modular credits which means an extra burden added to my heavy workload. However, i convinced myself that this is a great opportunity for me to improve on my language and i should not take it for granted.

Majoring in Economics, I thought that I could avoid my weaknesses - writings and readings. However, due to the school requirements, I took up several other modules and realized that writing in university is inevitable. It would be highly advantageous if one has a strong demand of the language. As i sit down and look back now, I felt that the 5 months were really well spent and there are many takeaways that would follow me through my life.

In ES1102, i am given many opportunities to do writings, be it summary, reader response or essays. Without this module, i would never imagine myself taking the initiative to do essay writings. In the past, I have a very vague idea of how to structure my essay writing. I am glad that Brad guide us through the essay writing process and also provides us with useful essay writing rubric. With a clearer and more organized thought, i am no longer intimidated by essay writing. Also, i am thankful for the constant feedbacks given, as it greatly helped me to know where my strengths and weaknesses lies. 

Not forgetting the emphasis on grammar usage in this module that i found it to be greatly useful. As one of my biggest weaknesses is grammar, the grammar practices provided me a chance to revisit my mistakes. Thanks to Brad, I learnt that i used too many conjunctions in my essay, which a good writer never does. This is an important lesson i have learnt and would not repeat the same mistake again. 

All in all, I believe that ES1102 is a module that i never regretted taking. I appreciate the assignments we did and I will continue give more efforts in learning English even after this module.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Emily, for your effort with this detailed, honest reflection. You do a good job of focusing on what you felt about ES1102 before taking the course and where you are now. I'm glad that the skills learned in the course seem useful for you. (It also does surprise me a bit that students enter FASS without realizing how important writing and reading skills are.)

    Referencing Gibb's model of reflection, is there anything that you feel you need to do better in the future?

    In any case, all the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete